GDC’s work is rights based, aligned with the international human rights framework, and focuses on sexual and reproductive health, while respecting the dignity and the autonomy of the health decisions of all people. All members subscribe to the following articles of the Charter:
- Global Doctors for Choice is a global network of member physicians whose overarching goal is to improve reproductive health outcomes and to enhance women’s autonomy to control their reproductive lives.
- Global Doctors for Choice is committed to promoting exchange, support and collaboration between physicians around the world, so that they can actively work towards ensuring that all people have access to comprehensive reproductive health care, with respect for autonomy and the information and freedom of choice to make their own reproductive health decisions.
- Members will draw upon their experience in diverse medical disciplines to harness their medical credibility and scientific expertise as health care providers dedicated to the best medical interests of women and men from all over the world.
- Members will actively advocate to make comprehensive, evidence-based reproductive health care, including abortion, accessible for women worldwide.
Our values and principles provide the basis for our decisions and actions. GDC embraces the following guiding principles to steer its operations:
- We are pro-choice: We respect women’s dignity and autonomy, and are committed to defending women’s rights to control their reproductive lives all over the world.
- Our work is needs based: We are committed to advancing the reproductive health and rights of all people worldwide; our advocacy priorities are guided by a concern for those whose rights to reproductive health are most violated.
- We value medical expertise: As a network of medical professionals, we believe that doctors are uniquely positioned to serve as advocates for the best medical interests of their patients.
- We believe in the scientific process: We are united in a strong belief in the scientific process, and its relevance to reproductive health policy; policy and programming should reflect evidence-based best practices.
- We believe in solidarity: We believe that in solidarity there is power; we support a community of physician-advocates, facilitating the sharing of information and practical strategies, and fostering emotional support among colleagues who might otherwise be working in difficult and isolated circumstances.
- We work in collaboration with others: We are committed to collaborating with partners whose missions and expertise complement our own.
- We respect the importance of the local context: While Global Doctors for Choice unites and strengthens the voices of its members around a shared set of values, we recognize that our advocacy must be grounded in the local context, and incorporate local expertise.